I was asked (not by a client) what’s the lead time for a bride to inform her bridesmaids about ordering their dresses? My answer was 6-8 months to start looking would be ideal but no less than 4-5 months to order. This timeline can significantly vary according to the boutique’s standard. Because of this, it is best to shop early. She had a horrid look on her face and with dismay said ” I just got an email that I needed to order my dress and have it paid for by Monday” The Bride gave her one week to order and pay for her $240 dress. I’m looking in disbelief but asked two questions. “When is the wedding” and “does she have a wedding planner”? Wedding is December of this year and no planner. Hmmm…this prompted me to write this blog post.
Hiring a wedding planner should be very high on the list but I’ll save that for another post.
Photography by Docuvitae
I wanted to share with you “10 Tips to Remember When Selecting a Bridesmaid’s Dress.
1. Start searching for bridesmaids dresses at least 6-8 months before the wedding.
2. Bridesmaids should order their dresses at least 4-5 months before the wedding. This isn’t a hard fast rule because it truly depends on the dress boutique’s requirements.
3. Try to choose a dress that the ladies will be able to wear again for another event.
4. Select a dress that will go with the overall theme of your wedding.
5. Take everyone’s body shape into consideration when searching for a dress. The latest trend is bridesmaids having the same color dress but different styles.
6. Look for designers in multiple cities. This will allow the possibility of those out-of-town being able to try on their dress instead of just relying on measurements.
7. Insist that measurements are taken by a professional tailor or seamstress.
8. Don’t forget to choose accessories that will compliment the dresses.
9. By all means, choose comfortable shoes. After all in most cases, the bridesmaids will be doing alot of standing.
10. It’s not mandatory that the bride pays for the bridesmaids dresses, although it is a good gesture. Just be considerate of everyone’s budget when selecting a dress especially if each person will be responsible for paying for their own.
Do you have tips to add to the list? Please share in the comments section.
M. Shannon Hernandez says
Great post–and one that is much needed! I have been in my share of weddings and sometimes brides forget that the bridesmaids also need to stick to a budget and all of this stuff can be expensive! I had fun with my wedding–I said get a black knee-length dress–any style you want and silver shoes and I’ll see you there! It was beautiful–I gave them each a deep red sash to tie around the waist. Easy and wonderful experience for all. 😉
Tanza Cooper says
Shannon – that is great advice! I love that it was your big day but you still had the bridesmaids budget and comfort level in mind.